If you’re aged 40 to 74 and live in Middlesbrough or Redcar & Cleveland, you could be eligible for a free Healthy Heart Check.
As we get older our risk of developing heart disease, Type 2 diabetes, kidney disease, stroke, and certain types of dementia increases. The good news is, they can often be prevented.
Criteria: free NHS Health Checks are available to residents aged 40 to 74 who haven’t already been diagnosed with one of the above conditions.
Healthy Heart Checks are available in most GP surgeries (registered patients only). You can have a free check once every five years.
The check will take about 20-30 minutes:
- you’ll be asked some simple questions about your family history, and any medication you’re taking
- your height, weight, gender, ethnicity, and age will be recorded
- your blood pressure will be taken
- a simple blood test will check your cholesterol level
You’ll also get:
- your individual assessment results
- your overall risk of developing cardiovascular disease
- referrals to services to help you to manage lifestyle changes, such as weight management and stop smoking services (if required)
- a referral for management of cardiovascular risk (as appropriate)
If you meet all the criteria (see above), you can book a healthy heart check by calling the Live Well Centre on 01642 727580 or calling into the Live Well Centre reception.
Having your free NHS Health Check will help you to be better prepared for the future. By identifying risks early and taking steps to reduce them, you can improve your chance of maintaining or improving your health as you get older.